Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Things I like about Donkey Kong Country!

Hello Everyone! So some of you, or really Kate, pointed out that I haven't blogged in a while. I can't argue with that. It's true. It's been a while.

But I'm here now and I'm better than ever!
Though...that's probably not true. But I do have an idea for a blog and some free time now so I'm going to rock an entry out for all of you!

I've been thinking a lot about Donkey Kong lately. Sort of random, no? I have a few reasons: 1) I have the Donkey Kong pirate song on my ipod (I think it's in my itunes from when I had the pirate party way back) so it comes up when I have my songs on shuffle and makes me think about Donkey Kong 2) In honor of facebook chess, I tried to make a "smack talk" gchat status message. All I could think of was: "It's On Like Donkey Kong", which, obviously, made me think of Donkey Kong 3) Something else.

So here goes: Things I like about Donkey Kong Country


1) Fun name. I mean, isn't it? Don't you just giggle a little when you hear DONKEY and KONG in the same sentence?!?!?! As someone with a pretty COOL first name and SERIOUSLY AWESOME middle name, I can relate and support a video game with a fun title. Hehe.

2) Monkey. So Donkey Kong is a monkey, right? And though they're not my favorite animal, I do enjoy monkeys quite a bit. They're cute and active. They bounce around a lot and swing from trees-rebellious! Also, their squeaks sound almost like my cats' meows...and cats' meows are music to my ears. Le sigh. So yeah! I like that the game involves monkeys which are cute and squeak and are basically like cats.


3) Bananas. I like bananas. A lot. Bananas are heavily emphasized in Donkey Kong. They're what give Donkey and Diddy lives and also what help Donkey and Diddy stay on path and not get lost on their journey through Donkey Kong Country. Yay for Bananas!


4) Hoarding. You might know, or might not know, that I like to hoard. I'm not one of those creepy people on Oprah who can't live in their houses and have to buy trailers to set up in their back yards so that they can keep all of their belongings in their homes while they sleep outside. My hoarding doesn't interfere with my daily habits or force people out of my life. It's more simple than that. But anyway, in Donkey Kong, Donkey and Diddy hoard bananas to earn new lives. And, in the bonus rounds, the whole object is to collect, or hoard, as many golden animals as possible in order to earn Donkey and Diddy bonus points! Seriously, those levels are amazing and SO fun!

5) Beautiful. The graphics are just beautiful. The underwater levels? I mean, if I wasn't being chased by a weird octopus-swirly-anemone thing, I could just sit and stare at the billowing coral and rippling water all day when I'm playing them . And what about the standard jungle scenes? The lush green of the trees and the bright blue of the sky? B-e-a-utiful.


6) Adventure. The game isn't all hoarding and nature-it's adventurous too! Wipping over broken cart tracks in 'mine cart madness' and jumping over barrels of dynamite in 'whatever that level is called'. I'm not Indiana Jones so I'll take adventure whatever way I can get it. Even if that 'way I can get it' involves being anti-social/locked up in my room/losing sleep.

7) Pirates. I LOVE PIRATES. SERIOUSLY. I draw them and I have parties themed around them and I talk like them when I'm upset. So the fact that the FINALE of the game is a one-on-one battle with a pirate is pretty amazing. WOW. I really like Pirates!

8) Did I say monkeys already? I think I did.

9) Motivational. Like all video games, Donkey Kong Country teaches you to chase down your dreams. So sweet.

Fin.

No comments: