Sunday, April 13, 2008

Things I like about being a mother

For those of you who don't know (and if you don't know, why not?), I've recently become a mother. Before you inhale sharply and ask yourself 'Where did Becky go wrong?', let me finish.

I've recently become a mother on facebook. a FAKE mother using the application 'Make A Baby'. Are you relieved? Gosh! Did you really think I could have somehow managed to become pregnant and hide a pregnancy and birthed a child without telling YOU? Whoever YOU are? I don't think so.
Anyway, my baby's super cute. And her name is 'Jewish' (if you don't know why I named my kid 'Jewish' then...you must not know me that well/you should ask me).
And she kind of has an attitude problem/is a little b-i-t-c-h-y (esp. to Deb-sorry Deb! You saw that I yelled at her, right? right? didn't you? are you listening to me?).


But, she's brought me a lot of joy and I like her a lot. Motherhood has definitely changed me for the better.

So I bring you: Things I like about being a mother

1) Something to talk about. The best thing about being a mother, I've found, is that it gives me something to talk about. People who talk to me on a daily basis know that I tend to repeat myself and talk about the same boring/weird things. I mean, they're not boring to ME but...
So now that I'm a mother, and I have Jewish to care for/accessorize/give things to, I have HER and MOTHERHOOD to talk about. It's really nice.

2) Entertaining at work. I mean, not that I play with her at work or anything....and not that my friends do either. We're very professional. But hypothetically, she's very entertaining Monday-Friday, 9-5. I can dress her, which takes up 10 or 15 minutes, and then every few hours she needs to be hugged and cuddled and put down for a nap and changed...occupies me very well!

3) Dressing her. I really like dressing Jewish. First of all, she looks good in everything that I put on her (unlike other people I have to dress...read: me). Second of all, she has so many clothing options. Skirts,
pants (chinos, corduroys OR jeans), overalls, dresses, costumes,
flip flops, boots, flats etc. etc. She has the best wardrobe ever!!

And, it doesn't cost money to get new clothes for Jewish-it's all part of the application, baby!! (see how I put 'baby' there? see why that's funny? because I meant it as an exclamation but it also makes sense since Jewish is a baby and part of the 'Make A Baby' application).

4) Makes me a better person/gives me purpose. Instead of just thinking about myself all the time...now I think about my child. I think about how many hugs I can give her without seeming creepy when people read my baby mini-feed, and I think about what she'll want for lunch and dinner. I think about how I can enrich her life-with tickets to a children's museum (actually, I already know she thinks that's "lame")? with a trip to Hawaii? with ballet lessons? What'll affect her life in the most positive way? What can I do to help her grow up to be a smart, confident woman?

I wake up in the morning now, trying to put my best foot forward for HER. And trying to be a good role model for HER. I used to steal candy from babies, and now I'm buying it, for my baby in the 'Make A Baby' marketplace. It's all about Jewish.
5) I have to stop this now because even I'm getting creeped out.

Have a good day!

No comments: