Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day 2 and I already want to buy things

I haven't even been NOT buying myself things for 2 full days and already I've been tempted to shop four times!

Jan Brett's four numbers: (I don't know who Jan Brett is but that's the name on the diagram)


Becky's four numbers:


First, when Piperlime.com sent me an e-mail announcing an upcoming sale/free shipping thing.

Second, when gap.com sent me an e-mail announcing an upcoming sale/spring preview/free shipping thing.

Third, when I walked by the thai place around the corner from my apartment and considered ordering pad thai for dinner...even though I went grocery shopping on Sunday and have lots of food.

Fourth, when I was walking home from work with Debbie and we were going to pass by H&M to get to the subway.

Can you believe it?! I hope that this gets easier. I'm sure once I get into the habit of not buying things it'll be a piece of cake...?

maybe? (*Kate* you like this cake wreck?!)

So, in lieu of buying myself things I wonder what I can do. I mean, I can't just sit here and NOT shop. I don't have will power like that. I need to be doing something. SOME. THING.

1) Get people to raise money for my work thing. You know the 'thing' that I told you about? If people raise money for this cause and then...something...I guess I haven't really thought this through.

2) Read books. Well, I've been pretty good about reading books lately. I read 'Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim' for family book club, and now I'm reading 'The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao' for another book club. And Kate got me a book for Hanukkah and Aunt Jane got me a book for Chrismukkah...so this is a viable option. Instead of shopping and being out amongst the citizens of the world and contributing to our failing economy I can sit at home, with my cold (yes I have a cold now), and my roomates (read: fansta gangsta) and read. HM....

3) Watch TV. I pay for it, might as well watch it! TOP CHEF here I come! Oh but wait, I already watched it for this week. Well, I have um...the new 'Real World' to watch and then those 10 episodes of 'Law & Order' that are sitting on the DVR queue. I'll think of something, don't you *sneeze* *cough* worry about me!

4) Volunteer? Eh...I USED to do that, but now...I'm just way too busy! OH WOW, I'm horrible. No no, I could volunteer...in fact I should look into that. *sneeze*

5) What do you think? No really, YOU...TELL ME. What can I do?

6) Blog. Blogging doesn't cost any money and I don't have any money so I guess blogging is a great thing that I could be doing with my time! blog blog blog blog etc.

I will continue this list later gators! I just called you gators! heheheh!

3 comments:

Reb Kessel said...

I love the cake wreck. It's like a pirate ship was attacked by a boa at a drag show. Hehehe.

And I believe in you! You can be frugal! You can not spend money!

I also think you should write a book. Another for your list.

Deb said...

find a man that will buy you things and pay for your dinner? Woman are supposed to buy things for themselves? You have a job? Get back in the house!

B said...

1. i am utterly shocked and astonished that you do not know who Jan Brett is. or maybe i'm losing perspective on the world after working as an elementary school teacher for a 2nd straight year...

anyways she writes and illustrates children's books and shes pretty fab at drawing animals. during summer school we used to watch her special online do it at home art project videos. they were pretty lame, but it kept the kids occupied and generally amazed.

2. that cake looks...not edible. i will leave it at that.