Friday, November 5, 2010

Amy Sedaris = New BFF?

I have long been a fame monger and person who chooses acquaintances based on influence. That being said, I don't have any famous friends. Weird, isn't it? I've heard though that the more you want something the more elusive it is to you...so maybe that's why my 'friends' are all 'normal' average Joes and Jorginas.

Well...I should use 'normal' loosely. Anyone who hangs out with me of their own accord (and don't BS me with that 'you kind of FORCED me to hang out with you by sitting outside my apartment and sending me faxes at work with 'want to hang out? circle 'yes' or 'no' on them and calling me obsessively AND sexting me' excuse), has to be a bit off their rocker.

(Is this image glittering for all of you? WHOAA)

Anyway...I don't have any famous friends. I mean, JASON (are you ever going to read this? I'm not sending you the link. You're a smart guy. You should be able to remember the web address since you know my name and that I talk a lot) is kind of a big deal because of his pizza blog and such. And Debbie and Jason (another one) were in the beginning of 'Three Men And A Baby' or was it 'Three Men And A Little Lady'? Kate's a Rabbi, and has been published, and Michelle is all over the internetz (jeje--jk!). Not to mention Melissa who made a 'Free Enes' sign for the Rally to Restore Sanity last weekend and has been blowin' up. I have more friends than that but I can't go on too long (that's what he said?)

Anyway...I don't have any famous friends. Well, at least I didn't until last Thursday.

***

Cassie (!) invited me to go to a book signing of Amy Sedaris the Barnes & Noble in Union Square. I got there a bit early and saved us some seats (4th row---what what). I bought a copy of Amy's last book 'I like You' and started reading (The reason she was at 'Barnes & Noble' was to sign her NEW book 'Simple Times: Crafts For Poor People'...but that's only available in hard cover and I'm not rich...contrary to the pearls I wear and crown that I had surgically stitched to my head)

WHAT. A. FUNNY. BOOK. I got more excited. When Cassie (!) finally showed up (I had to...ok?) I was even more pumped.

Amy began with a demo of crafts from her new book. She was just as funny in person as I had imagined...not to mention her ADORABLE dress. After she demod, and answered some questions, we were allowed up to the signing table, one row at a time, to meet her and get something signed.

We waited patiently and went up to the stage. Cassie (!) was very excited. I was, too. But I was also nervous. What do you say to someone who makes a living by being funny? I fancy myself funny...but like...more situationally...and more if you know me.

Cassie (!) got her book signed, patted her boobs for Amy's approval, and moved on. It was my turn. Amy looked at me and said 'I like your dress!' and then prepared to sign my book. OMIGAH! SHE COMPLIMENTED MY DRESS. I blubbered something about it being from H&M. Then, somehow, the subject of Nicole Kidman's eyebrows came up and I recounted an entry from THIS very BLOG with pictures of Nicole Kidman modeling various eyebrows (none of which looked good. why is she so freaky looking?). Amy looked up from my book (well, really HER book but also mine...since I paid for it) and laughed. OMIGAH DEUX!

Sara was last but not least to have her book signed. Then we exited. AND got interviewed by PBS / PBS.com. Look for us online / on TV.

In conclusion, Amy Sedaris loves me. She likes my clothes (for the record, I wasn't wearing the above AWESOME dress that night...so that is not a pic of the outfit that won me my first celebrity friend). She thinks I'm funny. I'm sure we share similar values, and she's a girl, and I'm a girl...and we both live in New York City.

Reciprocally, I also find Amy funny and like her clothes. I also appreciate her 'art'. I think that we can be friends. I imagine us holding hands and skipping through Central Park. Or maybe sharing laughs over fondue. Or maybe watching re-runs of 'The Real Housewives of New York' together. But how do I make this happen? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3 comments:

Deb said...

It was Three Men and a Little Lady.

NYCDAILYDEALS said...

i'm kind of a big deal. thanks.

Who says that? said...

You just searched for 'Jason' and commented on all those entries, eh? Did you read anything?