I was talking to Rebecca yesterday (as I am wont to do from time to time). She told me it was national sandwich day. OH. MY. GOD. They really do have days for everything don't they?
Administrative Assistant Day.
National Carry Your Cat To Work Day.
Veterans Day.
International (really?) Talk Like a Pirate Day.
And now, a day to celebrate pieces of bread (good enough on their own if we’re going to be critical) around delicious things. Do any of you know that quote from ‘American Beauty’ that talks about your heart being so full of love that you feel like you could burst from the happiness of it all? Thinking of a day to celebrate sandwiches makes me feel like that.
Things I like about sandwiches 1) Bread. OH GOD. Bread is so good. Have any of you ever done the Atkins diet where you can’t eat carbs? It is so hard. First of all, no bread. Second of all, for the first week, NO CARBS AT ALL. Did you know vegetables have carbs in them?I didn’t either until I tried this diet. The thing is, it worked. The thing is, you gain it all back as soon as you look at any non-Atkins food so…probz not worth it. But anyway, bread is just so great! If you get it in France you can walk around it with it in your hand like a purse or a walking stick. If you get it in the US you can stick it in a little Ziploc bag or toast it and smother it with butter. Light. Fluffy. Yet, Hearty and Filling. BREAD!
2) Mustard. Mustard is something you can put on bread in a sandwich. I really like mustard. I had some mustard yesterday and was looking at the bottle. It's only 4 calories for 1 serving of Mustard. That got me to thinking...how many calories would it be if I ate a whole bottle of it? Should I be sharing this?
3) Dressing. Sometimes, if I don't have mustard, I will moisten (for those of you who like the word and/or are reading this out loud: MOISTEN MOISTEN MOISTEN) my bread of my sandwich (some people call sandwiches 'sangwiches' as a joke. What's that about? Is that funny?)with salad dressing. Nom nom nom. Salad dressing is so good. OIL + SEASONINGS. I could probably drink it plain. What is my deal?
4) INSIDES. There are so many possibilities when it comes to sandwichinsides (is there a cuter way to say this?). MEAT? (*insert Homer Simpson noise here*) or JELLY (or as I like to call it 'gloppy sugar')? OR PEANUT BUTTER (or as I like to call it 'a way to make my apple less apple-y')? OR CHEESE (or as I like to call it 'why I'm having a hard time finding a mate')? OR ALL OF THOSE THINGS TOGETHER? A meaty, jelly-y, cheesey, peanutbuttery sandwich? OH GOD. please?
(author's note: please don't try to eat this. it's yarn)5) Toasted. Sometimes, you can have a TOASTED sandwich. Warm, firm (but not too firm) bread...warms the heart, really.
6) Not too filling. Some foods that I like (for example: steak) are really filling. When you have them for a meal, you commit to them. There's no dating, I mean...eating...on the side. The thing is, I really like sides. I like fries. or chips. or carrot sticks. I want my cake and I want to eat it, too. With a sandwich as a main course in a meal, I'm allowed to indulge in side options. I'm allowed to live according to the saying 'variety is the spice of life'. I really like that!
7) Transportable. I like my food on the go, thank you very much.
In conclusion, I hope you ate a sandwich yesterday because...I don't need to spell it out, do I?
Concluding again, I downloaded firefox at my new work computer so I can easily blog now...with pictures. Expect some more entries.
1 comment:
Catching up on my Who Says That. I've been MIA for awhile. And now I'm goddamn hungry. Thanks.
Post a Comment