I thought the idea of someone being DESPERATE and CRAZY for me was romantic. I was desperate and irrational at the time (13-19 was basically crazy...am I RIGHT?!!!!)... and I felt like all these people singing to me on the radio (or on my CD player....hehe...am I dating myself?). I was so special. I was what they'd been looking for (where had they been looking? The mall? The diner? Because that's mostly where I was spending my time).Then, I went through a pop-punky (keep your comments to yourselves, please) phase. These songs were ANTI-love songs. They mostly dealt with feelings of being unfairly treated, and talked about how SHITTY love was. And life. And how cool it was to be DIFFERENT. And how you didn't NEED anyone to like you because you didn't like anyone, either. I don't know how productive these songs were. I mean, it is good to do your own thing, but to actively curse other people for being cliche and conforming...eh. Who cares?
As was the case with my *NSYNC phase, I went to many concerts when I was into pop-punk. I moshed along with the best of them. I got autographs. Things were good.And now, I'm kind of over that stuff, too. I got to concerts but...teenagers have replaced me in the audience of shows I would have gone to a few years ago, and the whole thing just seems overdone. I mean, BACK IN MY DAY, there were a lot of bands to choose from...some indie start up labels...now there are just way too many choices and everything sounds the same.
And what about love songs?
Well, apart from the occasional indulgence (Matt Nathanson 'Come On get Higher' comes to mind), I think that most love songs are ridiculous. Love songs play into the insecurity, irrationality, and retarded-ness of love. Just listen to Richard Marx who croons 'Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you'. What the F is that? Richard Marx, go out and eat some dinner! Go call you boys! Stop waiting for this girl (or guy...hmmm) to come around and spend time with you. You're better than that.
And what about lyrics like 'I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more...just to be the man to walk 1,000 miles to fall down at your door'? Really? Does this guy not have a car or access to public transportation?
The Backstreet Boys sang 'I don't care who you are, where you're from, what you did, as long as you love me'. UM. I care. If you killed someone, or like, once pushed an old lady over, it probably will interfere with my feelings for you.
In the mid 90's Mariah Carey promised 'You'll always be my baby'...how can you really be sure? Her relationship with Nick Cannon (I don't even know where to begin) is her longest to date, isn't it? And that's been going on for like, what, 3 months?And, lately, I've been into a song by Bruno Mars that I have to ignore the words to in order to appreciate the catchy beats. He says 'I'd catch a grenade for you, put my hand on a blade for you...you know I'd do anything for you'...why? Is he a samurai warrior? No need to catch a grenade in my defense. Are there grenades in Queens?
In conclusion, I'm probably revealing a lot about myself in this post, but I just think love songs are silly. Let's have more songs about cooking dinner together, and watching 'The Office' on TiVo, and remembering to pick up that laundry from the dry cleaners. That's what real relationships seem to be about...not fantastical promises of self-mutilation and time spent waiting. Real relationships seem to be about balance, and commitment, and quality time...so why not craft more songs about those themes, than about, I don't know, wanting to die because someone isn't around and calling repeatedly until someone picks up.
In conclusion again, let's all just listen to 'Fuck You' by Cee Lo Green on repeat. Not because the message is necessarily great, but because it's catchy as...FUCK!
No comments:
Post a Comment