It was a pretty smooth move. Nothing broke (except my heart…jk?), and it didn’t take that long (the actual move took about 2.5 hours…not including a trip to UHAUL to pick up the truck / fall in love with the guy working there) and I was able to lay out my room the way I wanted (with the bed by the back window/ door obviously). And Laura went early in the morning and got the cable set up so that later on that night when I needed a mental break my friends at Bravo were waiting for me.

Sigh.
But then came the unpacking. I sort of jumped on it because I knew if I didn’t unpack right away I would be living out of the suitcases and boxes for the next year (if you think I’m exaggerating…you’re sweet), and that didn’t appeal to me, so I just stared at my furniture for a while and then decided where t-shirts should go, which drawer would be good for long sweat pants (as opposed to the shorts drawer-duh!), where I should house my yearbooks (if you’re ever over, you can look at them, if you promise not to make fun of my hair or what clubs I was in…ahem…) and then, yeah.
Laura was officially moved in the next day, and slowly we started to put together furniture, and get kitchen supplies and now, about two weeks after the big day, we’re basically donezo.And let me tell you, the place is looking good! This is the first apartment I’ve ever lived in where I own the majority of the furniture, and where I’ve been able to visualize a blank space and conceive of where I wanted to put everything.
Now that the place is good to go, let me tell you what I like about it:Things I like about my new apartment:
1) No Jamie and Shane. BOO BOO BOO. Jk! But I assume that Jamie will be reading this at some point (Shane doesn’t really read, you guys. He watches TV by himself and yells at the screen…). Oh, should I mention that the two of them just got engaged?! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Larry, who lived in Shane’s room before Shane, just got engaged, too. Giuliana, who I lived with senior year of college, is also married. In conclusion, if you live with me, you are probably going to get married soon / are already married.
(that is legitimately her ring on a vine...AHHH!)
(that is legitimately her ring on a vine...AHHH!)2) My bedroom. I have two windows that bring in a lot of sunlight AND a door to the backyard (kind of weird, but kind of cool). My bed now has a tempurpedic mattress topper and my clothes are arranged nicely and easy to access (read: not over-packed in drawers that don't fit them and that end up getting stuck). My door doesn’t rattle on the hinges or blow closed when there’s a breeze outside because I don’t have a hole in my wall for an air conditioner and the hole that isn’t there doesn’t have an ill-fitting cover that needs to be taped down over and over and over again!

That open space you can see is also perfect for fashion shows AND dance parties AND is right in front of a mirror. WIN!
3) My bathroom shower curtain. SO. CUTE. Thanks, Target (and Jamie…geez…you just will not go away, will you? ;))

4) My living room (two words apparently). There’s a cute little table and chairs in there now, and a little reading nook, and a futon couch that can be made into two chaise loungers (you can expect a full report the day after that feature is used and abused). Not to mention the TiVo brand DVR (TiVO is so cool, you guys! It clicks and beeps at you, like it really ‘gets’ you. And, eventually, it’ll even suggest shows for me and record programs it thinks I’ll like. My friends don’t even do that! Except Debbie, who constantly tells me about shows I should / never will watch. If only she would record them for me…maybe I’d get around to watching them.) we have through RCN and the stocked (thanks everyone who came to my birthday party!) bar table in the corner.

5) My BACK YARD! AHHHH! We have our own back yard, with little clothes lines and potted plants. My landlord is out there a lot (creepy / convenient) jazzing it up. I can’t wait til it’s not winter anymore (it isn’t even winter yet, is it?) so I can go outside and work on de-paling myself.
6) LAURA! Laura is pretty cool. She makes me abuelita hot chocolate and listens to my rants about nothing when I come home at the end of the day. She even invites me out to Brooklyn with her (read: she doesn’t mind being seen in public with me) and her friends!
7) My landlord. WOW. He is the dad from 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'-no kidding.
But please, don’t make me do all the work and invite you over. You’re welcome to come whenever I’m not busy, or feel like talking to you, or don’t have a lot of TV to catch up on, or if it’s not Monday – Friday or Saturday. Also, if you’ve been counting, since I am going through a phase, there are 17 parentheseseses in here. WOWIE KAZOWIE.
3) My bathroom shower curtain. SO. CUTE. Thanks, Target (and Jamie…geez…you just will not go away, will you? ;))
4) My living room (two words apparently). There’s a cute little table and chairs in there now, and a little reading nook, and a futon couch that can be made into two chaise loungers (you can expect a full report the day after that feature is used and abused). Not to mention the TiVo brand DVR (TiVO is so cool, you guys! It clicks and beeps at you, like it really ‘gets’ you. And, eventually, it’ll even suggest shows for me and record programs it thinks I’ll like. My friends don’t even do that! Except Debbie, who constantly tells me about shows I should / never will watch. If only she would record them for me…maybe I’d get around to watching them.) we have through RCN and the stocked (thanks everyone who came to my birthday party!) bar table in the corner.
7) My landlord. WOW. He is the dad from 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'-no kidding.
But please, don’t make me do all the work and invite you over. You’re welcome to come whenever I’m not busy, or feel like talking to you, or don’t have a lot of TV to catch up on, or if it’s not Monday – Friday or Saturday. Also, if you’ve been counting, since I am going through a phase, there are 17 parentheseseses in here. WOWIE KAZOWIE.
4 comments:
Parentheses are our friends. They make the world go 'round (or half way 'round, then finish with another half way 'round).
I'm slightly confused. How is it an apartment if you have a... yard? Maybe my concept of apartment is different than what New Yorkers know as apartments (condos are apparently different here than they are in Texas, and probably the rest of the continental US).
I like your little rhyme about parentheses.
So this is what wikipedia says is an apartment: An apartment (in American English) or flat (in British English) is a self-contained housing unit (a type of residential real estate) that occupies only part of a building.
So, my apartment is in a brick house, and it's the first floor of the place. It is its own residence, but now its own freestanding building.
and how did you score such a nice set up like that... in New York City?
Congrats on the new apartment/flat/house/bedroom!!!
Post a Comment