Today, for better or worse, is Valentines Day. I have different approaches to Valentines Day. Sometimes I try to be very cheery, or chipper about it-like this year. Sometimes I get all existentially sad and wonder why I'm alone and why my life is so miserable.
To recap:
I've always celebrated Valentines Day. In elementary school I made valentines for my classmates and loved to get candies from my friends (and from my mom of course). This continued through middle school. In high school, my friends and I would have lunch together and then go home and watch a chick flick (usually of the 'Bridget Jones persuasion) for Valentines Day. I usually wore red/pink too. I'm a festive person. My mom gave me presents (one year it was the soundtrack to 'Mamma Mia!', another year it was a pair of earrings-how lucky, right?! Who even needs a boyfriend when you can have a mom?)
In college, Valentines Day was different. I didn't wear pink/red. I didn't watch chick flicks anymore. I didn't get good presents from my mom anymore. I didn't have parties anymore. Instead, I turned to making Valentines for my friends while I was away from home at school. Making things became my new way of celebrating. Freshman year, against better judgment, I made lyrics collages for all of my friends. I say 'against my better judgment' because these took a really long time and towards the end of the process I got fed up once or twice. I remember being sad during Valentines Day freshman year because I didn't have a Valentine.
Sophmore year, Valentines 2005, I got hit by a car so that was particularly unique. Don't worry-it wasn't on purpose. I broke my foot and spent the next month or so in a huge, walking boot. Not fun, but memorable for sure (It was the first time I went to the hospital!).
Junior year of college I was in Paris and I spent Valentines Day with everyone in my program at the ballet. We walked the grand staircase at the Opera Garnier-that was a pretty good Valentines Day. It was beautiful there :)
And last year? I think I went to my Jewish Literature class from 8:10-9:25 and then? Went out drinking? I really don't remember.
But you're all ready for the lists. That's why Debbie gives me points at all-because of my lists. Well here's a shorter one.
Things I think about on Valentines Day.
So thought #1:
What does Valentines Day mean?
followed closely by thought #2:
And what's a good way to celebrate?
Well, I don't really know what it means or if it means anything. It's just another day of the year, right? If you really love someone, shouldn't you love them and show them you love them every day of the year? I guess Valentines Day means that the CEO and CFO and COO or Hallmark (c) are going to be making a lot of money and that I'm going to be out
And I don't know if there is a good way to celebrate. I guess, if you're really devoted, you can just pretend the day isn't happening. I have a few friends who are doing that this year...I'll have to ask them later how that's working out for them. Or, if you're with someone, you can plan dinner with roses or champagne or something else that's stereotypical and kind of making me nauseous right now. But if you're like me, without a Valentine (though, maybe Erin's my valentine now because she made me a valentine, and I keep calling her 'valentine' and we said we were each other's valentines?), it's probably best to plan a fun evening that'll take your mind off the fact that you're ALONE and no one LOVES you or WANTS to buy you FLOWERS (Just kidding. Someone/something probably loves you...like your cat or that plant you water on your balcony) So if you're like me, then tonight you should be playing 'power hour' with your sister because that's what I'm doing. If there's one thing I know it's that I love Yuengling.
Something else I think about on Valentines Day: what should I wear?
So, in high school, I went the typical route sporting a color associated with Valentines Day. In college, I think I wore event-specific clothes i.e. nice clothes to the ballet junior year, but probably something like sweatpants/jeans for class last year.
But what about this year? I'm at work, so obviously something work appropriate, but what color? Red? Black-to be all 'I'm anti-Valentines Day'? Purple to be sort of pretty and happy but not celebratory?
I opted for black and red-red to celebrate, black to not celebrate. So basically, I'm emotionally neutral about the holiday today.
Finally, thought category #4: what should I eat on Valentines Day?
Subconsciously, I think I shouldn't eat anything because this morning when I got on the Subway I realized that I hadn't packed anything for lunch OR breakfast. whoops!
But really, what's for dinner? A nice steak or some type of special meal? Or, no real meals in anticipation of lots of candy. I mean, it's bad to eat regular meals and then eats lot of candy too but isn't it worse to JUST eat candy and be a walking, talking, candy bar?
You are what you eat.
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!
No comments:
Post a Comment