Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election LIVE BLOG (third time's the charm)

Hi Everyone!

I decided that there are a few things that can get all of us through this LONG, HORRIBLE, SOOOOO LONG afternoon.

1) Alcohol

2) A nap

3) Motivational Quotes


Well, I can’t drink or nap at work (and I’m pretty sure you can’t either) so that leaves us with option 3: motivational quotes.


Maybe this will motivate us and help us pull through the next few hours.

First of all, here’s a called ‘Democracy’ by Langston Hughes.

I had this poem quoted to me by a co-worker and I feel like it’s enjoyable and motivational. I also feel like it is a good start to what I’m doing here.


Democracy


Democracy will not come

Today, this year

Nor ever

Through compromise and fear.


I have as much right

As the other fellow has

To stand

One my two feet

And own the land.


I tire so of hearing people say,

Let things take their course.

Tomorrow is another day.

I do not need my freedom when I’m dead.


I cannot live on tomorrow’s bread.

Freedom

Is a strong seed

Planted

In a great need.


I live here, too.

I want freedom

Just as you.


Well, is that motivational? Or is that depressing? I can’t really decide. Here’s something else from Anne Frank (my homegirl):


“It’s really a wonder that I haven’t dropped all my ideals,

Because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out.

Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can’t build hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery and death.”


HM, is that motivational? Maybe I don’t even know what the word motivational means. Maybe I don’t even know what I’m supposed to be doing here. But I think it’s sweet and optimistic. I also don’t think the worst of people and tend to believe that people are good (I almost typed ‘food’-that would be a whole different story, wouldn’t it?) . I think it’s important to have hope and to always believe that things can be better. I think that’s what we’re doing now and hopefully we’ll be able to prove that people WANT change and are HOPEful tonight.


Maybe this is more a blog of hopeful quotes. Let’s be hopeful!


“Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do.”


Pope John Paul XXIII said that. I just wanted to have a quote from a Catholic/Christian person…to prove how Jewish I am.? Wait a second!

I don’t have to prove that I’m jewish to you!


“The harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything it values. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow.”


Thomas Paine said that. WORD. I personally believe that Barack Obama is a man that can smile in trouble, and that gathers strength from distress…but maybe that’s just me?

And this last one (for now) is kind of about me:


“In times of great stress or adversity, it’s always best to keep busy, to plow your anger and your energy into something positive.”


YAY! BARACK OBAMA!

No comments: