Friday, February 22, 2008

Things I don't like about being sick

So I don't consider myself an overly positive person. I mean sure- I TRY to be optimistic and look for positive aspects to situations but I'm not, like, happy in a creepy kind of way. I don't smile all the time or refuse to admit when I'm unhappy. I think I'm pretty balanced.

That being said, there's been a lot of positive energy in this blog of late. I've dealt, in an almost exclusive manner, with things that I like. Things I like about Debbie, Erin, Kate...Things I like about 'Heroes' and Presidents. Well now it's time for a change. Let's talk about something I don't like again. Let's go back to to the good old days. Let's talk about being sick.

This topic came to mind, in case you were curious, because I am currently sick. Runny nose, delirium resulting from taking too much cough medicine, sore throat-EW. But let's get this show on the road.

***AUTHOR'S NOTE*** Sorry if this entry doesn't make sense. I'm really trying.

Things I don't like about being sick:

1) Having a runny nose. EW. It's so annoying to have to constantly stop what you're doing and get a tissue. I'm a very busy person. I don't always have time to put down my work and pluck a tissue from the box. Then I don't have time to actually blow my nose (and also, what's the proper technique for blowing your nose anyway? Am I not doing it right? Because my nose is still running here...like a leaky faucet) OR throw away my used tissue. And also, aren't tissues wasteful? I mean, you can only get a few good blows/sneezes, if that, out of each one and then they just take up space in the trash can. Are tissues biodegradable? Should I talk to my congressman about this?

2) Having a sore throat. I talk a lot so having a sore throat doesn't really fit my lifestyle. I also answer phones for a living, so having a sore throat is not conducive to my work schedule either. It's all sore and gross...and then I cough and it gets worse...and then I can't talk so I have to cough again to clear my throat which makes it even more sore-yuck! I want to be able to talk freely! I want to be able to sing in the shower! I want to be able to call my friends back on the phone without having to calculate how long our phone conversation will be and how sore my throat will be afterward. So having a sore throat is making me not be able to keep in touch with my friends (love the grammar in that sentence? I do!)! And I love my friends so I want to be able to keep in touch with them!

And I have to keep buying cough drops too-$$$. I'm on my second bag of cough drops in three days! Listen Rite Aid-I'm not P. Diddy. I can't afford this shiz!

3) Being tired. I'm usually kind of tired (Vitamin B deficiency?) but being sickish makes me even more tired-gross! And because I only have one mug at work, and I've been drinking tea out of it to help my sore throat, I haven't been drinking coffee...so I'm just dragging. Luckily, because it's Friday, I was able to leave work at 1 and come home and relax...but what if I'm still feeling sick on Monday? I can't nap at work (I am not sleeping on that couch in the basement. I don't care what anyone says...gross)!

4) I kind of said this already but, spending money. In the past three days I've gotten TWO bags of cough drops, a box of tissues (with lotion-hooray!), a box of tea, vitamin C...all of this is adding up. How am I supposed to support my clothes/shoes/accessories shopping habit if I'm spending all of my money on sick-related-stuff? I mean, the obvious answer to that is that I should find a sugar daddy to buy things for me. And I agree. But no one wants to date a sickie!

5) Taking the subway. The subway always seems to be more crowded and slower and dirtier and yuckier when I'm sick. Take for example this morning when I trudged into work, in the snow, whilst I was feeling sick. This stupid lady was hugging the pole and I had to raise my arm up all high/awkwardly so that I could grab the poll over where she was hugging it/wouldn't fall over. I really didn't like that. Couldn't she SEE my glassy eyes and hear my coughing? Couldn't she have stopped her pole embrace and let me get in on the holding action? It's PUBLIC transportation after all.

I'm done with this.
I think Debbie should give me extra points for blogging while I'm sick. And also for writing 'whilst'.

Now that I'm editing this, here's a picture too:
(If you're curious I chose a picture of Brazil because I'm going for a hair cut at the BRAZILIAN beauty salon tomorrow and am WAY excited :D )

4 comments:

Deb said...

If you get extra points for anything, it is for the us of Shiz.

Who says that? said...

Ok fine. I mean, you could give me points for being named Becky for all I care. I just want points Debbie! That's all!

Kristyn said...

i like kate too! she`s fun/funny. and she likes margaritas. and she`s nice to you. i think one of my favorite times with kate is when the 3 of us went to the national mall (sophmore year?) and you thought the poor ducks were stuck in the pond and kate an i were like, no becky, actually,ducks can fly. hahahaha. you`ll probably be mad at me for posting that. sorry, it`s just too funny. and you can`t be mad at me because you love me too much :)

Erin Elan said...

you do TOO smile all of the time. unless you're thinking. in which case you have that intense frown of concentration on your face.